1899 - 1902



Anglo Boer War
Home Reasons/Intro Build Up Battles / Sieges Deaths VC's Photographs


On Tuesday the 23rd, the continuous and steady assault of the Boer position seemed to be reaching a promising climax. For four days on the heights above the  Venter Spruit the English and Irish Brigades had been doggedly moving up and on, and had carried one position after another in the teeth of many guns, and in the face of discomforts and discouragements multifarious. They had  achieved a great deal with comparatively small loss, viewing the masterly manner in which the Boer guns were served. Fortunately the rifle-fire of the foe was not equal in accuracy to their shell-fire, most probably for the  reason that the bucolic Dutchman had lost the ancient cunning in wielding the rifle, while in the management of guns of position he was assisted-nay, relieved, by his German mercenaries. The astonishing dexterity of the  Teutonic specialists in planting shells accurately at a range of over 3000 yards was a matter for marvel and admiration. Their success was attributed partly to the fact that the range had previously been marked, and also that  spots had been selected over which it was known bodies of troops must eventually pass, and where it was certain every shot must be made to tell. For all that, and considering the cross-fire to which the troops were subjected on  the opening days of Sir Charles Warren's attack, the losses were small. A council of war had been held, and three courses had been sifted: first, a frontal attack by night on the second Boer position, possibly attended by  terrible loss; second, retirement beyond the river to seek for a new passage; third, attack by night on the mountain of Spion Kop, thence to enfilade and dominate all the Boer positions.

The last course was decided on. Spion  Kop was to be attacked by night, the Boer trenches to be scooped out with the point of the bayonet1 and the position held till again-by night-guns could be dragged up to assist in commanding the position of the foe. Spion Kop,  the extreme left of the Boer position, once fortified, would become a key to the door of Ladysmith. So it was thought.

General Woodgate was informed of what was required of him, and Colonel Thorneycroft discussed the  programme of the night attack. By his desire, satisfactory reconnaissances had been made, and there was every reason to believe that the attempt would be crowned with success. Accordingly, soon after midnight, General Woodgate,  accompanied by Colonel a' Court, started forth with the 2nd Lancashire Fusiliers, the Royal Lancaster Regiment, a portion of Thorneycroft's Horse, and half a company Royal Engineers, supported by two companies of the Connaught  Rangers an d by the Imperial Light Infantry.

In pitch darkness the troops began their march up the southern slope of the giant mountain called Thaba Emunyama. The steeps were prectpltous and rocky, and had to be negotiated  with extreme care. Dongas were on this side, boulders on that; these had to be crept through and leapt over with stealthy, cat-like tread lest the enemy on the summit should be forewarned. Now and then the whirr of a bullet  showed that the Dutchmen were awake, and were indulging in the pastime of sniping: otherwise the still, purple night spoke of peace. Led by General Woodgate and Colonel Blomfield, the Fusiliers (who, being seasoned fighters,  were specially selected for the honour of engaging in "ticklish" work) ascended softly, advancing higher and higher in single file and in cautious silence.

Then more than half-way up, the approaching multitude was  discovered, and the Boer picket, firing, fled. But the warrior crowd pressed on, Colonel Thorneycroft now leading the way, firing never a shot, and waiting till the trusty bayonet should teach its lesson. At three o'clock the  summit was reached. The rain drizzled down, the clouds wrapt the hill, but the ardour of the troops was unabated. With a wild, ringing cheer, which echoed far over the hills, the position was carried. The force then proceeded  to fortify itself so far as was possible in the hard and rocky ground that covered the heights.

It must here be noted that, owing to the darkness and the impossibility of judging exact distances, the trenches that were dug  were badly situated. Instead of the whole or most part of the triangular tableland of the top, the force occupied merely a cramped position on the extreme point. This point was already marked and commanded by six Boer guns,  while on the very hill itself was another hostile weapon. Sneaking around the crust of the kop-on the brim, as it were, while we occupied the crown-were sharpshooters and snipers, who from thence could pelt the northern hump of  the slope; but in the dense atmosphere of the early morning these facts were unknown, and the effort, under cover of the darkness, to widen our position and capture the entire triangle was not then made.

While the hazy blue  pall of the morning yet hung over the hills the trenches near the crest were occupied. The clouds hung low, and not a Dutchman was to be seen. For some time the troops were protected by the enshrouding mist, but so soon as it  cleared, the Boers from their posts opened fire. They realised that the position to them was virtually one of life or death. Ping! ping! rang the rifles in chorus; bong! bong! went the guns, with a deep basso that reverberated  in the hollows of the hills. It was an awe-striking reveille'. The hostile artillery had the range to a nicety; each shell followed the other with precision, and burst with terrific uproar on the patch of earthworks held by our  infantry. Under this fearful fusillade our men, pelted yet undismayed, faithfully held their ground for two mortal hours. But the shell-fire made horrible gaps in the stalwart company; and by-and-by General Woodgate, who,  having captured the position, still continued to direct and encourage his men, was wounded, Colonel Blomfield, of the 2nd Lancashire Fusiliers, took over command, and sent for reinforcements. He also fell. Then, by reason of  merit rather than of seniority, Major Thorneycroft, local lieutenant-colonel, was appointed to take the place of the disabled chief. With the rising of the sun, with the development of day, developed the battle. Shrapnel from  15pounders sprayed hither and thither; lyddite opened out earth umbrellas far and wide. The roar and the roll of fiends in fury rent the clear, mimosa-scented atmosphere, and made even the bosom of the placid, silvery river  shudder and quake as it wound and twisted and looped round Potgieter's Drift. For three and a half hours the tornado pursued its deadly course~ Death-mutilation-agony~hirst-these were more prominent than the word glory in that  long, immemorial period. Officers and men alike could scarce lift a head lest they should meet the doom that hung over every creature that dared to stand upright in the murderous arena. Uhey crouched, and took cover, and  waited. The Boers, seeing their advantage, noting the terrible strain on the men that held the captured trenches, and the dance of death among Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry, also bided their time. With great caution and  slimness" they finally commenced to creep up nearer and nearer, firing the while, and hoping, when things became a shade worse, to rush the position. Unfortunately there were no guns to rout the adventurous crew-not one  handy Naval I 2-pounder to sweep the enemy from the plateau. There they were, and there they meant to remain. Major-General Coke's brigade had started to get to the scene of action, and before long the Middlesex, Dorset, and  Somerset Regiments were moving up the heights to the assistance of the battered regiments above. Major Walters, in charge of the ambulance, was also carrying out his grim, unusually heavy duties, but he, in the midst of his  deeds of mercy, was caught by a shot and brought to earth.

By this time the glorious Lancashire Fusiliers, who held the captured trenches, had suffered most severely, not only from wounds, but from the agonies of thirst, for  which there was no remedy. Their losses were horrible, and so also were those of Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry, and they lay in many cases too far removed for the ambulance-bearers to reach them, and in too exposed a position  for help from any around. Indeed, the state of affairs was so lamentable, the Boers forcing their way with such persistency, that the question of holding the hill hung by a thread. Three times before midday had the Dutchmen  returned, driven the Britons back, and again been driven back themselves, till the ups and downs of the fight became like a perilous game of see-saw, none daring to prognosticate the conclusion. From noon till the late  afternoon the Boers persisted in their desperate efforts to retake the crest of the hill. They evidently regarded the position of so much importance that reinforcements from their right were drawn away to help in the work. But  the gallant fellows who were in possession hung doggedly to their prize. "Only a day," they said; "a day's more endurance, and to-morrow we shall mount guns. We shall be rulers of the roast." So they fought  on with a will. Fortunately, at this time they had no premonition of impediments to success. The place turned out to be very difficult to hold. Its perimeter was large, and Water was exceedingly scarce, and their ammunition,  moreover, gave out at a critical period.

All these discoveries were gradually and painfully made as the day wore on, but nevertheless they resisted the assaults of the enemy with herculean vigour-with courage that was Spartan.

For two hours in the afternoon the scene on the summit of the kop was terrific. A hurricane of shot and shell swept the crest-it became a seething Inferno. Six quick-firing guns, two Hotchkiss guns, and numerous other  weapons of more or less deadliness played upon the troops. Maimed and dying were being carried off as fast as possible. General Woodgate, brave as a lion, who had worked like a Trojan till struck down by a piece of shell,  refused to leave. Usualy a placid man, he was now irrepressible, protesting that he would remain on the field, though his sufferings-since he was shot over the left eye-must have been severe. Reinforcements had now arrived-the  Middlesex, Dorsets, and Somersets-the plateau was crowded-overcrowded, some say-and death was taking a full meal. The Boer Maxim-Nordenfeldt, which had done its fell work at Colenso, perambulated from position to position with  insatiable greed, preying on the life-blood of our bravest and best, and defying the efforts of our gunners below to locate it. Its work, and the work Qf the Mausers, lay everywhere-the hill was a shambles. Major Walters, chief  of the Natal Volunteer Ambulance, had dropped; his brother, of the 2nd Scottish Rifles, was killed; Captain Murray, of the same regiment, was simply riddled with bullets-he received as many as four, yet persisted in leading on  his men till struck down mortally. Colonel Buchanan RiddeH, King's Royal Rifles, another hero, was slain later, while directing a flanking movement. The turmoil of those exciting hours was described by an officer :-"I  crawled along a little way with half my company, and then

brought up others in the same manner. The men of the different regiments already on the hill were mixed up, and ours met the same fate. It was impossible, under the  circumstances, to keep regiment~ control. One unit merged into another; one officer gave directions to this or that unit, or to another battalion. I saw some tents on the far side of the hill to our front, and knowing the enemy  must be there, opened with volleys at 18oo yards, when we saw a puff of smoke, indicating that one of the Boer guns had just fired. We lay prone, and could only venture a volley now and again, firing independently at times  when the shower of bullets seemed to fall away, and the shells did not appear likely to land specially amongst us. Everywhere, however, it was practically the same deadly smash of shells, mangling and killing all about us. The  only troops actually close to me then were a party of the Lancashire Fusiliers inside a schanze, F Company of the Middlesex, and a mixed company of other troops on the left front. A good many shells from the big guns burst near  us, and a lance-corporal of the Fusiliers was killed. The only point I could see rifle-fire proceeding from was a trench, the third, I believe, occupied by our troops on the right, and looking towards Spearman's.

"Presently I heard a great deal of shouting from this trench, in which were about fifty men. They were calling for reinforcements, and shouting, 'The Boers are coming up.' Two or three minutes afterwards I saw a party of  about forty Boers walking towards the trench. They came up quite coolly; most of them had their rifles slung, and all, so far as I could observe, had their hands up. Our men in the trench-they were Fusiliers-were then standing  up also, with their hands up, and shouting, 'The Boers are giving in, the Boers are giving in.' I did not know what to think, but ordered a company of my regiment to fix bayonets. We waited to see what would happen. Just then,  when the Boers were close to the trench, some one-whether an enemy or one of our men-fired a shot. In an instant there was a general stampede, or rather a meA/~, my men rushing from their position and charging, while the Boers  fired at the men in the trench, knocking several back into it, dead. Previous to this a Boer came towards me saying, 'I won't hurt you. He looked frightened, and threw down his rifle. Imr~ediately afterwards the Boer fired, and  there was a frightful muddle. I fired at one Boer, and then another passed. We were fighting hand to hand. I shot the Boer in order to help the man, and he dropped, clinging, however, to his rifle as he fell, and covering me  most carefully. He fired, and I fell like a rabbit, the bullet going in just over and grazing the left lung. I lay where I lell until midnight. Subsequent to my being hit, parties of Boers passed twice over me, trying on the  same trick, holding up their hands, as if they were asking for quarter. But our men refused to be taken in again, and fired, killing or driving them back."

In this fight the Dutchmen were unusually obstinate. Over and  over again they advanced to within seventy yards of the captured trenches, and from thence were only routed at the point of the bayonet. Their rushes were most valiant and persistent, and nothing but the heroism of officers and  men coul& have withstood the overwhelming nature of the attack made upon them.

But dodges with the white flag and other frauds continued to be practised by the Boers. Colonel Thorneycroft escaped merely by an accident  from an endeavour to play a trick upon him. The leader of a commando facing Thorneycroft's Horse advanced with a white flag. The Colonel approached to the parley, but being suspicious, he told the leader to go back, as he  refused to confer with him. Both retired, but before the Colonel could return to his regiment a volley ww.aass poured on him by the enemy. Another and more curious trick practised on some of the privates. They were approached  by an officer in kharki and directed to follow him to a better position. This they began to do till, at last, seeing themselves being led into the jaws of the enemy, they halted, and some one demanded to know who this bogus  officer might be. At that moment the party was met by a storm of Boer bullets, and scarcely a man came whole fr6m the adventure. Fortunately, the miscreant-an Austrian-who had played the trick on them was bayoneted ere all our  gallant fellows dropped down. Strange, too, was the fate of gallant Colonel Blomfield, whose regiment, one of the smartest of the smart regiments present, had done such splendid work, and had held on to its post to the bitter  end. This officer was wounded early in the day, as already recorded, and lay in a trench helpless and fainting for hours and beyond the reach of help. Finally, he was able to crawl out and make his way down the side of the  hill~down the wrong side, unluckily for himself-and when next he was heard of he was a prisoner in Pretoria. That his life was saved at all was a marvel. Captain Tidswell, on seeing his Colonel wounded, rushed out with Sergeant  Lightfoot and dragged him under a heavy fire into a trench, where he remained till the action was over.

During the early part of the day the Scottish Rifles and the 3rd Battalion of the King's Royal Rifles had been sent off  to storm the kopjes forming an extension of Spion Kop, and thus occupy the enemy and relieve the pressure of his attack. The river was forded at Kaffir Drift by Colonel Buchanan Riddell's troops, and soon after the battalion  divided, half being led by the C~onel to the right, and half under Major Bewicke - Copley advancing to the left, of the objective. The enemy was every where-at the base of the kopjes and in the trenches up the sides. Still the  troops advanced. The Dutchmen were shifted upwards inch by inch from their defences. The best cold Sheffield glittered near the trenches, and-the trenches were vacated! Up and up moved the Boers, on and on went the Rifles-on  and up, rushing wildly, gallantly, charging and cheering, and finally gaining the crest!

Meanwhile the Scottish Rifles had advanced on Spion Kop. Nothing could exceed the smartness with which they scaled the steeps. They  marched straight to the front firing line, and, in a word, saved the situation. No sooner did the enemy show his nose than the Scottish Rifles held him in check, and over and over again showed him that British tenacity was  equal to both Boer stubbornness and slimness combined. The enemy could make no headway against them.

But the gallant action of the King's Royal Rifles was one of the grand deeds that end in the ineffectual. The battalion in  its triumph had pressed the Boers upwards, but on doing so became practically isolated. The Boers were above and between them and our own troops, and as a result of its too forward movement the regiment stood in peril. Seeing  their position of jeopardy, orders were sent up to retire. It was disgusting, heart-breaking, but it had to be done. The glorious company, after capturing two positions, slowly, reluctantly, moved down the hill they had  ascended in the flush of triumph-moved again to their bivouac, sadder and wiser men. But they were only the first of many sad and sorry men that day. Meanwhile the battle on the great hill raged continuously, and shells, not  alone those of the enemy, but those of our own guns which had attempted to assist, made the crowded kop a "veritable hell."

Presently, in the late afternoon a still more serious situation presented itself. Water,  always scarce, threatened to run short altogether. Ammunition failed. A more appalling quandary in the drama of war can scarcely be imagined. Fortunately, to the relief of the plucky band on the heights, at last came a  mule-train with much-desired water and cartridges, and the fight was pursued in more auspicious circumstances. But the Boer guns lost none of their persistency. Shells hurtled over the plateau, and as dusk set in, regiments and  battalions and such officers as were left werc mixed up in a surging, stumbling melee, wounded men firing last shots at the darkness, and hale ones dropping helpless as the blaze from the bursting projectiles showed, for one  moment, the scene of agony.

When night made further activity impossible the position of affairs came under discussion. Was this sorry game worth the vast, the costly candle that was being expended-that yet might have to be  expended? One commanding officer said "Yes!" another said "No!" It is stated that the decision rested with Colonel Crofton. He argued in favour of withdrawal. The troops were terribly mauled; the dead lay in  crowds, a ghastly testimony of their impetuous courage. It had been found impossible to secure good cover against the enemy's shrapnel and venomous, unceasing quick-firers. There had scarcely been time for the raking of  rifle-pits, the construction of stone defences-the guns of the foe had been too active and unceasing-arid besides this, the troops were unaccustomed to the sly art of crouching to cover. While the Colonial crawled like a  stalker along dongas and through gulleys to get at his quarry, the hardy Briton always exposed himself as though pluck demanded that he should make a mark of himself: As some one at the time expressed it, "Their courage is  incontestable, their methods absurd." For this reason many of the trenches that our soldiers had so grandly defended became in the end their graves. The number of slain was appalling to see. The flower of the country lay  struck down as the grass beneath the scythe of the reaper. It was a harvest of blood. The dead lay literally in stacks, the sole protection of their living comrades. Crowds upon crowds had pressed to the top of the great hill,  offering a thick, compact front to the guns of the enemy, an imposing target to the horrible shells that merely breathed death as they passed. Liberally as the brigades exposed themselves, liberally they paid the penalty.

Late in the evening, guns-Naval guns and a battery-toiled towards the scene, rattling along through the night air to get into position for the morrow, and take revenge, though late, on the devastating "pom-poms" of  the foe. But the die was cast. The withdrawal had begun. At 7.30 P.M. Colonel Thorneycroft gave the word. Slowly and in confused fashion the shattered braves began to wind downwards, and by nine the summit of the hill was  almost deserted.

Pitiable were the circumstances of the retirement. The wounded, with staggering footsteps, crawled or crept down the mountain-side, reeling from loss of blood and exhaustion. Streams of officers and knots of  men scrambled along calling for their units and finding them not. Drowsy, stupefied beings stumbled through dongas and broke their ankles against boulders, trying before they dropped to come in touch with their fellow-men. Many  wandered aimlessly, twining the hill and passing over it into the hands of the enemy. Battalion was mixed with battalion, company with company. Dazed men searched in vain for the rendezvous. Some cursed, some swore, some slept  or seemed to sleep. One commanding officer sat hel~ lessly on the spur of the hill, staring like a somnambulist, deaf to all consciousness of the outer world; another, lying among the trenches, was given up for dead.

The  losses were terrific. The Royal Engineers, in some cases, were riddled with bullets. Major Massey died covered with wounds. Lieutenant Falcon, 17 th Company, had arms, legs, knees, and helmet perforated with lead. In fact, no  one has been able very clearly to describe in its hideous reality the awful picture of the battle of Spion Kop. A great holocaust some called it, and with truth, for the mountain from morn till night was literally scourged with  lead, raked in all directions by Maxim-Nordenfeldts, artillery, and musketry. The tale is only writ in the wounds and on the graves of those who by a miracle took the summit, and by sheer grit held it in the face of  overwhelming odds. Over a thousand men gave their lives to gain that which, in twenty hours-hours each one crowded with moments of heroism-had to be abandoned. The evacuation was carried out by order of Colonel Thorneycroft,  one of the most valiant of the many valiant men who went up only to come down again. The excellence of his reasons was acknowledged, and his personal valour was beyond dispute. His authority for action was the sole source of  debate. A military correspQndent of the Daily Telegraph related an incident of the fight which served to show what manner of commander had taken the place made vacant by the wounding of General \Voodgate. Some men, about a  score, who had lost their officers, threw down their arms to surrender, but Thorneycroft, seeing the act, rushed out to the front and called to the Boers to go on firing, for he commanded on the hill, and he alone would give  the word to surrender. The Boers promptly responded. The officer went on to say, "Luckily a fresh regiment arrived at our side and restored the battle, but Thorneycroft undoubtedly saved a dreadful disaster by conduct so  gallant that it recalls the old story of Messieurs de la Gard Francaise, tirez."

Acts of gallantry were so numerous that V.C.'s were surely earned by the dozen. Lieutenant Mallock's devotion to duty was remarkable, 'and  all regretted his loss. Captain Stewart, who also lost his life, assisted in maintaining the high traditions of the 20th Regiment.

The King's Roy~ Rifles lost three officers killed and five wounded. Their Colonel, the bravest  of the brave, was hit while in the act of leading the regiment up the steeps.' He rose for one instant to read a message and was shot through the brain. The commanders of three leading companies were all wounded. Colonel  Thorneycroft was injured, Captain the Hon.J.H. Petre, though twice struck, held on to his duty till another bullet laid him low. Captain O'Gowan was hit in two places, and Lieutenant Lockwood in four, as also was Captain Murray  of the Scottish Rifles while attempting to lead his men towards the Boer trenches. Death claimed this splendid officer before the end of. the day. Captain Walter was killed by a shell.

Curious stories were told of the  behaviour of the Boers to the Colonial soldiers, stories which were hardly creditable to the Dutchmen. What their deadly missiles had failed to do the Boers themselves accomplished. They clubbed some unfortunates to death.  These were Uitlanders, or suspected of being such. The

correspondent of the Daily Telegraph - gave the names of two men slaughtered in this way-Corporal Weldon and Private Daddon, ex-Pretoria men! In addition to this  brutality, explosive bullets in quantities were used. A drummer and a private of the Fusiliers were both killed by them. It was said that the quantity of losses sustained by Thorneycroft's, the Imperial Light Horse, and other  South African "Irregulars" was due to special spite owing to a suspicion on the part of the Boers that these regiments might have been recruited from Uitlanders. This charge was so generally believed that many of the  "Regulars" came to the assistance of the Colonials, transferring to them their badges in order to save them from the consequences of discovery; for it was distinctly stated that cases had occurred where the Boers  deliberately shot the wounded whom they knew to be Colonials. So as to be thoroughly impartial, however, we must remember that there are blood-thirsty villains of all nationalities in times of peace as well as in times of war.

Next morning, General Buller, riding to the scene of action, then, and then only, became acquainted with the decisive move, the abandonment of Spion Kop. His astonishment was great-so was that of the Boers. Some said that the  foe had already begun trekking, believing, in spite of their stout resistance, that the position was lost. Others argued that any trekking that they might have attempted meant merely a manoeuvre consistent with their mobility  to entice the British farther on into a trap from whence they could not have escaped. Be this as it may, a man of immense courage gave the order to withdraw, and he had his reasons, which rea~ons proved satisfactory to the  Chief.

On the 25th the battle dragged on, the artillery barking and rifles snapping at each other, while the transport slowly prepared to retrace its winding way whither it had come, across the Tugela. The most gallant and  perhaps the most melancholy feature of the war was at an end. General Warren 's right flanking movement had failed, and the Commander-in-Chief decided that there was no alternative but to again concentrate in the neighbourhood  of Potgieter's Drift. The movement was conducted, under the personal direction of General Buller, with admirable precision and skill, and though there were weary and disgusted hearts among the bitterly disappointed troops, they  bore their trial with dignity. The return was orderly, and no further misfortune happened. The enemy made no attempt to interfere. They, too, though successful in their defence, were hard hit.

The following casualty list represents the cost of the great flanking movement

Killed -

Staff-Captain Virtue, Brigade-Major. 3rd King's Royal Rifles-Leut.-Colonel Buchanan RiddeH, Lieutenant R. Grand, Second Lieutenant  French-Brewster. 2nd Cameronians-Captain F. Murray, Captain Walter, Lieutenant Osborne. 17th Company Royal Engineers-Major Massey. 2nd

King's Royal Rifles-Lieutenant Pope Wolferstan. 1st South Lancashire-Captain Birch. 2nd  Lancashire Fusiliers-Captain Stewart, Lieutenant J. Mallock, Lieutenant Fraser. Imperial Light Horse-Lieutenant Rudall, Lieutenant Kynock. 2nd Middlesex Regiment-Captain Muriel, Second Lieutenant Lawley, Second Lieutenant  Wilson. 2nd Lancaster Regiment-Major Ross, Captain

Kirk, Lieutenant Wade. Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry-Captain Hon W. Petre, Captain Knox-Gore, Lieutenant Grenfell, Lieutenant Newnham, Lieutenant M'Corqudale, Lieutenant  Hon. Hill-Trevor. South African Light Horse-Major Childe. 2nd West York-Captain Ryall.


Major-General Sir E. Woodgate (since dead), Captain Castleton, A.D.C. 3rd King's Royal Rifles-Major Thistlethwayte,  Major Kays, Captain Beaumont, Captain Briscoe. 2nd Cameronians-Major S. P. Strong, Major Ellis, Captain Wanless-O'Gowan, Lieutenant H. V. Lockwood, Second Lieutenant 0. M. Torkington, Second Lieutenant F. G. W. Draffen. Indian  Staft Corps-Major Bayly. Bethune's Horse-Captain Ford. 17th Company Royal Engineers -Lieutenant Falcon. 1st South Lancashire-Lieutenant Raphael. 1st Border Regiment-Captain Sinclair - M'Lagan, Second Lieutenant And rews. 2nd  Lancashire Fusiliers-Lieut.-Colonel Blomfield (taken prisoner), Major Walter, Lieutenant Griffin, Lieutenant Wilson, Lieutenant Charlton. Royal Engineers -Captain Phillips. Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers-Captain Maclachlan. 2nd  West York-Lieutenant Barlow. 2nd Lancashire Fusiliers-Captain WolleyDod, Captain White, Captain Ormond, Lieutenant Campbell. 1st York and Lancaster-Lieutenant Halford, Lieutenant Duckworth. 2nd West Surrey-Captain Raitt (since  dead), Captain Warden, Lieutenant Smith, Lieutenant Wedd 2nd Middlesex Regiment-Major Scott-Moncrieff, Captain Savile, Captain Burton, Second Lieutenant Bentley. 2nd Lancaster Regiment-Captain Sand bach, Lieutenant Dykes,  Lieutenant Stephens, Second Lieutenant Nixon. Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry-Captain Bettington, Lieutenant Foster, Lieutenant Baldwin, Lieutenant Howard.

Missing -

2nd Lancashire Fusiliers-Captain Elmslie (taken  prisoner), Captain Hicks, Captain Freeth. 2nd Middlesex Regiment-Lieutenant Gaibraith. 2nd Lancaster Regiment- Major Carleton. Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry-Lieutenant Power-Ellis.